Monday, June 4, 2012
thiefs and lindsay's departure
May 12th
It is coming close to the end of my year in Tanzania so posts are few and far in between. Since the Mei Mosi or May Day or Worker’s Day party we have been busy preparing for Lindsay’s departure. I’ve been busy preparing what I will do when she leaves; she has been busy packing.
Over the last two weeks I have had some trouble with students stealing from me. I think because we are leaving soon they think we won’t care as much if they take our things. I don’t care so much for what they have stolen, just the fact that they have stolen. During the Mei Mosi party my desk from the office was used for the guest of honor. In my desk I had my markers, my stapler, and about 40 pens and pencils that I give as gifts for the good students. The desk wasn’t returned the night of the party. The next morning I made students return it to the staff room and I found all of my things were taken out. I knew that they were stolen and didn’t just fall out because the stapler was taken out of its bag and then the bag was returned. When I consulted the headmaster and second headmaster they told me they didn’t know what they could do. That happened on the previous Wednesday. On Monday I was teaching in Form 2 when the students were being very misbehaved (more so than ever before). We were starting a new chapter, sets, and I brought in objects to display sets. I brought in my remaining 7 pens, a few books, and chalk. While teaching I put these objects on the window ceil. As I said, the students were very misbehaved and many were sent out of the classroom. While doing an exercise I was walking around the room checking work. As I approached the front I saw a hand putting a pen back on the window ceil. Some of the students I sent out stole a few pens and a good student went and returned the pens for me. She was so nice as to hope I didn’t notice, but I did and wasn’t very happy. I walked out and went home for the day. Eventually the staff found out and hunted down the girl who stole and she was beaten quite badly. She came to apologize to me (which was all I asked for) and then I could hear her crying while they hit her with a stick and called her a thief in front of everyone. Throughout this week she has been returning to the office for other offenses. I even caught her going through the purse of another teacher! She obviously didn’t learn her lesson. Fortunately, there are many students who do care and told me they were sorry which made the week a little better.
Last Saturday I went to teach my form 4 students in the morning and then went to Isoko with Lindsay. Enea called asking us to come to her home so she could spend time with us. When we arrived she was so busy working that we sat in her house all afternoon without more than a greeting with her. On Sunday Mbughi brought me to a different church for a service. The service was five hours long. I was not happy and neither was Lindsay. We made plans to visit a students’ home that afternoon and we arrived much later than planned.
This last week seemed very rushed. Each day we had some social obligation to partake in and I never got a chance to relax. On Wednesday Lindsay had her bags packed and was ready to go. She started counting down the hours to Saturday morning’s 4 AM departure. Thursday was her last night in Kafule and we spent it at Mbughi’s house. While there, he informed us he was going to make us zawadi’s (gift’s). It was going to be a woven sign with our first and last names on it…this would be our third. I brought over the two last night thinking he would change his mind about making another but his response was his would be better. I guess when I get older I will never forget my name; I’ll have three signs saying it!
On Friday Lindsay took the school motorcycle to Isoko for the night. The motorcycle was supposed to come at 2 PM and both her and I rushed through work to be on time for the departure. The driver did not show up until 4:30. Kind of a waste of my day. I considered going to Isoko for a few hours but since her departure was already late and I wanted to go for a run I said goodbye and surveyed the damage she left in her room. Since I was travelling to Isongole on Saturday to visit my friend Lisa, I left the 2 boxes, 1 basket, and 2 bags and floor full of trash for Monday afternoon. Friday night I went to bed early.
Upon my return from Isongole life has been quite hectic and with little rest. Read part two about my trip to Isongole!
Love,
Gretchen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment