Monday, June 4, 2012
Friday's celebration
May 26th (part three)
Last night was the celebration at the church. As I mentioned in the last post I was an hour late. The thing about celebrations though is the celebration just went on an hour later than it was meant to…no harm done. The night started off with dances from four different choirs. There was the old ladies group, the middle aged women’s group, the little younger than middle aged and men included group, and the secondary school students. Most of the dances I have seen in the past but I enjoyed them none-the-less. A select group of three ladies and three men composed a song in Kindali for me. I was told that the song meant they had no trouble living with me and wished me a good journey. I just wish my camera took videos!
As the rehearsed songs gave way, we had some free dancing and I was mostly given the floor while others were warded off with sticks. The free dancing was opened up with the Pastor and I and then others joined. I had some opportunities to dance with my friends for the year but was quite embarrassed because all eyes were definitely on me. Later in the evening gifts were presented from various members of the church. I was given another woven sign from a student, Nisile, and her mother which read, “The family of A. Mlwafu wish you all the best in your life.” Another two kangas appear in my possession as well as my fifth bag of peanuts, another stalk of sugar cane, a rice sorter, and a carved statue of Mary (I had to be told it was Mary—I was also told it looks like me which scared me). My friend Elizabeth made a song with Umbege and two students which brought tears to my eyes and then the celebration ended. Obviously they didn’t listen when I said the celebration was to celebrate Pentecost, not me! Again, Grace sat strong by my side and became the photographer of the night. We ended the night with dinner at the pastor’s house before I was escorted home with all my gifts.
Today I typed four blog posts and then my computer died. :( (This one was first handwritten) I have so much I want to type for WorldTeach and can’t now. I am hoping to charge it at the church tonight. They are having an all day celebration and I am waiting to hear the generator then I’ll head over! The celebration started at 9 AM and lasts until midnight! Another long night lies ahead.
Love,
Gretchen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment