July 12th (part three)
Before all the gentlemen left on Sunday night I asked them what we should do for breakfast the next morning. We had a kitchen but the stove didn’t have gas attached and there were no pots and pans to cook with nor was there any food in the building. The gentleman who works for the government education system asked what we would like and told us he would pick us up around 8 o’clock for breakfast. At 9:00 the next morning I was getting real hungry. A woman then entered the building and introduced herself as a hospital staff member in charge of the building. I asked her where I could get breakfast and she said she would go ask someone for me. She left the building and about ten minutes later the gentleman from the previous night entered and said he was ready to bring us to breakfast. He walked us to his home where we met his children and his wife Joyce who prepared breakfast for us. After breakfast we met the only doctor in town and other personnel at the hospital and then headed to school.
We arrived at school around noon and were introduced to the student body. There was a special assembly for us in front of the office where both Lindsay and I stood on the podium and introduced ourselves. The podium is actually a school sign which has a stepped cement base which the headmaster uses as a podium of sorts. All the students giggled at us and then were dismissed back to class. After the assembly Lindsay and I went back into the headmasters’ office where he talked with us for a bit and we told him we were ready to begin teaching the following day. He sent us to the academic masters’ office where we sat for about ten minutes before he decided to give us a tour of the campus. He showed us the different buildings. Each building has classrooms for different forms. There are currently four forms at the school and each one has its own building. He then told me that I would be teaching forms 3 and 4 math and he told Lindsay that she would be teaching forms 2 and 3 English. We were excited to finally be given some idea of what we were teaching. For the next few hours we were both given books with syllabuses for our respective subjects and Lindsay met with the other English teacher.
After some time we were brought to a room for lunch which was more rice and beans with some spinach on top. After lunch we were brought back to the missionary hospital for the night. I didn’t do much that night. I mostly prepared for the next day.
This morning I woke up and waited for our ride at 7 AM. At 7:45 I was still sitting around waiting. I eventually called the headmaster who called someone and got a ride for us. We could walk to the school, it would take about 45 minutes to an hour, but I was afraid someone was already on the way and there was the fact that school started at 8 AM. When we finally arrived at school we were brought into the headmasters’ office where we interrupted a meeting. We sat down next to the academic master and didn’t really know what to do. A minute later the headmaster spoke to the academic master who then whispered to us that we could go teach. We said we were going to teach today but I think we were both a little surprised with how quickly it happened. I went to form four while Lindsay went to form two. The lesson went pretty well but I am going to have a hard time remembering the students’ names. I had everyone go around and say there name, favorite subject, and an interesting fact about themselves. (The interesting fact thing definitely didn’t work out.) As they were going around saying their names I had more and more trouble distinguishing each name. The first problem is that I have 47 students and then all the girls’ heads are shaved so they look like boys! The only way you can tell a difference is the girls wear skirts while the guys wear pants. Then, you have names that you consider a girls but it is actually a boys like Stephania and Leah. You would think these were girls’ names, but they are boys’ names! I also taught form three which was a little more difficult with over 100 students! Blah!
During one of my breaks I went to the academic masters’ room to copy down the class lists. Once I completed I was brought for tea in the same room I had lunch yesterday. At this point I was very hungry. We weren’t given breakfast this morning and I had no idea where to get food! I scarfed down some porridge and bread in silence. It is impolite to look at anyone or talk to anyone while eating. I was so relieved to eat that I didn’t mind the rule. After tea we sat around the teachers’ “lounge” for a few hours before lunch at 2:30. The headmaster joined us for lunch. Throughout lunch we sat and tried not to stare at anyone. After lunch we were brought to the headmasters’ office where we talked and he let us know that he is open to suggestions whenever we want to give any. He had other random questions and comments as well but I can’t quite remember all of them. One comment that stuck out to me is still baffling. While Lindsay and I were eating lunch we were given a bottle of water. As normal I drank my water throughout my meal and even finished it. He asked us why we would drink during the meal. He said that drinking slows digestion and that we should wait at least a half an hour after our meal. I didn’t and still don’t know how to respond to that. After the “talk” we were given a ride back to the missionary hospital for the night. I decided to take a walk when I arrived home. I walked for an hour and didn’t reach a single town or even a home. I just kept climbing the mountain weaving back and forth. On my return trip I ran into a group of six cows! I was actually a little nervous that they would charge me and I picked up a stick. As I passed they stopped eating and just stared. If they didn’t have horns I don’t think I would have been as scared, but they are some big animals to mess with.
I returned home and discussed dinner options with Lindsay. At the end of our hill we were told there is a place that makes chapati (like a thin pancake). Since we both like chapatti, we thought we would give it a try. When we walked down we met with the owner who we met yesterday at the hospital. He works at the hospital during the day and at night runs a little restaurant. We told him our circumstance and he said when we return home tomorrow night there will be something for us to cook with. I was excited to finally be able to cook what I want to eat. For dinner tonight we were given rice and beans and spinach which seem to be a recurring meal out here. We come to expect it now. Before we left for the night the gentleman who drove us on the pikipiki the first night arrived and spoke with the owner. Before we left, he informed us for the rest of the days we are in the missionary hospital we were to eat at the restaurant free of charge. Lindsay and I were excited and thrilled for the deal. I was looking forward to cooking but I have the rest of the year to worry about that!
Hopefully the rest of the week runs smoothly!
Love,
Gretchen
No comments:
Post a Comment