Tuesday, January 11, 2011

cars, buses, people, oh my!


The thoughts and opinions expressed in this blog are my own and do not represent those of the WorldTeach organization.

Monday, January 3rd (part one)

During the two week Christmas break I was very busy relaxing and kept putting off updating this blog. I am going to start by taking you back three weeks to the last week of classes for 2010!

On Sunday, December 12th I spent some time up at school writing up tests for the last week. We were told we would only have instruction Monday through Wednesday and I planned for tests all day on Wednesday. The students were only thinking about break so it was a hard test to get them ready for.

Wednesday night was a little stressful for me. We had a gift exchange among the faculty on Thursday and so I was running around looking for a gift. My main gift ended up being 18 jumbo sized homemade chocolate chip cookies and then I threw a whole bunch of random things on top. I spent the night baking and preparing the gift. Josh and I made a joint dish for the potluck and thankfully he didn’t mind making the whole thing while I baked cookies.

On Thursday, I arrived at school to realize that the sophomore’s still had not decorated my door. There is a competition among classes and every other class had been decorating all week. I grabbed what few students were up there early and we got to work. We ended up making the most hideous door ever. We had a sleigh and a deer that was supposed to be Rudolph. While planning we didn’t think to make sure the deer was facing away from the sleigh! Everything just got thrown up on the door and people walked by and laughed. At around 9:30 the production began.

For about two weeks, each class had been preparing a dance routine to present to the school. For some reason they called in “MTV Showdown.” This went on for about an hour. By 11 o’clock all the students were off campus. For the next hour and a half I graded as much as possible. At 12:30 we had the potluck/gift exchange with the entire faculty. The gift exchange was first. I traded with the vice-principal, Ula, who gave me a huge basket full of goodies. There were peanuts, M & M’s, cheetos, crackers, chips, etc. The food arrived next and we feasted. After the meal, the cafeteria staff brought out big cans of fruit and gave them out to people. I felt bad as that food is for the kids, but if I didn’t eat it than someone else would have. I received a big container of oats and a can of mandarin oranges! Right after the food was given out, everyone ran to a truck to go home. I went home and prepared for my departure on Friday.

I went to school at the normal hour on Friday and got to work cleaning and grading. I felt as though I accomplished a lot. My desks were moved into the back of the room, the floor was swept, my computer was disassembled, and everything else was moved from the windows. Since it is hurricane season we had to make sure nothing would get damaged. I managed to get all my grading complete which made me very happy. At 11:30, we left school for the airport. Josh and I managed to get on the flight but there was no room for Crystal. As we were walking to the plane, Josh and I were informed that our luggage would not be going with us; there was too much weight on the plane. In a desperate attempt, we ran to our bags to grab some clothing. Josh had a book bag he was carrying on so I threw two shirts, underwear, and socks at him to bring for me. All of a sudden we were getting yelled at that the plane is leaving. We turn around and all the passengers were in and the doors were closed. We had to run to catch the plane before it took off! For the half an hour plane ride I just kept thinking of how badly I packed. I didn’t think there was a possibility for my luggage not flying with me so I had my passport, my wallet, all of my clothes, and everything except my camera that I carried on with me. We get off the plane and I asked Josh for the clothes I threw at him before we boarded. He didn’t grab them…so much for the extra clothing! My friend from Faleasao, Leafa, was in Tutuila with family and told me she would pick me up from the airport. She wasn’t there so I called her and she didn’t pick up. At this point I was quite upset. I was also very overwhelmed with all the people and traffic. The cars, buses, taxis, people all became too much. I just wanted to go back to Manu’a! Josh lent me $20 and I used it to catch a bus to Utelei to meet up with the volunteers living out there.

Mike and Mark were still in school when I called so I ended up stopping at the WorldTeach office right by their house to say hello to the field director, Alison. We chatted and she took pity on me and bought me lunch. I met up with Mark and Mike after the late lunch and we went back to their house to relax. That night another volunteer, Jenn, also stayed at the Utelei house. Mike and Mark ended up going to a staff party so Jenn and I walked around town. We sat and watched caroling for about an hour and then went to the market for some food. My dinner that night consisted of a bag of banana chips and banana pie. I also picked up some pudding for dessert and for breakfast the next morning.

On Saturday, there was a WorldTeach barbeque on the western side of the island at noon so Jenn and I got up early and did some shopping until the BBQ. Jenn needed to use the Internet at a cafĂ© and so I walked around window shopping. The barbeque was pretty nice. Most of the volunteers were able to make it and I ended up staying until about 7 that night. The best part was that Alison surprised me with clothing from some of the other volunteers!! No more of the same outfit all day long! Alison was also given a DOE car for the weekend and offered to bring me to the grocery store on Sunday. She didn’t feel right in driving the car all the way out to Utelei just to pick me up so I stayed in a different volunteer’s house which was closer to the stores. The girls that live in this house were both gone for the night. The one girl went to stay with her boyfriend and the other had already left for New Zealand. I was a little nervous staying by myself but it ended up being a blessing. I had hot water and air conditioning for the first time in almost six months! The shower felt so amazing that I had to take a second one the next morning.

I planned to do some walking on Sunday but it rained all morning so I sat lazily watching their TV. (Yes, their apartment is just like a nice US apartment that you would probably pay $700 a month or more for) I met Alison at CostULess at noon and we bought two carts full of groceries! (We picked up for Josh and Crystal as well). After two hours, we headed back to her apartment to pack everything in boxes to put on the boat. Once the rain stopped I headed out to walk home. As I was walking a car cut me off. I was a little perturbed until they rolled down their window and I realized it was Leafa! She had called the night before to tell me that she was really sick. On Friday she was in the hospital and so that is why she didn’t pick up my call. The doctors said she just had a cold but she sounded quite awful. Until 8 that night I stayed at her families’ house and relaxed. I already met most of her family from their visits to Faleasao so it wasn’t too awkward. At 8 PM, they drove me back to Kelly’s house in Tafuna where I found the house vacant and all to myself again! More hot water and air conditioning all to myself!! Haha

On Monday, Leafa and her sister picked me up and we went out for breakfast. After breakfast, I drove around with them picking up food and drink for Leafa’s store. We needed to put it on the boat that afternoon. By noon, we were finished shopping and I got to watch and assist in loading the crate for the boat. Leafa treated me to lunch and then dropped me off at Mike and Mark’s house. Mike and Mark really wanted to visit Manu’a so they decided to take the boat out that next morning. They went down to the docks to sign up and pay for the boat and were told there would be no boat the following week to return on. They had to make the decision on whether the money spent on the plane ride would be worth it. After talking about it for a while they gave in and went back down to get their name on the list for the boat. Crystal was staying in Manu’a and would be able to greet them and show them around until I arrived back the following day. That night I had plans to go play bingo with Leafa and her sister Natalie, so I headed back on a bus to Tafuna. Bingo didn’t end to 11 o’clock that night. I wouldn’t mind playing for so long if I actually won a game! They took me back to Kelly’s house that night and Kelly finally came home.

The plane flying between Tutuila and Manu’a had been down since I arrived so I was still waiting for my luggage the day before I flew back. The plane finally started flying again on Tuesday so I headed to the airport to find my luggage. I was told the plane came in at 9 but was completely wrong. When I arrived at nine, I was told to come back in another two hours. I decided to take the chance to walk to Ace and pick up some new chisels while I was waiting. When I arrived back at the airport, I found my luggage and walked back to Kelly’s to organize all my things! It was very exciting, but I wish it didn’t come so late. I took out my things for the bank and the post office and then headed out to get all my errands done. I got everything done and then managed to make it back to Kelly’s in time for dinner. One of the other volunteers, Rosa, had her parents visiting and wanted to treat all the volunteers to a nice dinner. The dinner was very nice, but very long. Three hours later we finally managed to make it home. I fell asleep watching Elf that night with a room full on people.

At noon on Wednesday I boarded the plane back to Manu’a.

Love,

Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment